Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ingesting Ecosystems: Grow and Eat Your Own Self-Propagating Probiotics!

No, but for real. This study came out about a week ago, and it's one of the first to use non-culturing methods to identify microbial populations in water kefir grains. Super important-- when researchers did that to ladies' coochie snorchers, they discovered organisms that they never imagined were part of the vagina forest. Besides the obvs (Lactobacilli), they found a heck of a lot of Bifidobacterium strains in kefir samples, which is promising for those with digestive issues.

I ordered some kefir grains from a random seller on etsy. By chance, he lives less than 20 minutes away from me, so the kefir grains pictured above contain fairly local microbes. I reconstituted them earlier this week, and now I'm making my first batch of kefir.

Anyway, I am super excited for the microbial revolution to start in my digestive tract. Will let you know how it goes.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment